Monday, June 7, 2010

Oh, no, not J-Lo again!

Totally off-topic here, but am I the only one who finds Jennifer Lopez to be one of the most annoying, overrated "stars" out there?

I realize that she really rocks some people's boats, too. For me, my fascination with her began and ended with her performance in Selena, the film that depicted the life of the lovely Latina singer who met a tragic end. True, I'm also a Latina, but that's not the reason I find Selena to have been J-Lo's only palatable character.

Most of the time when she's playing a role, it's hard to forget that Jennifer Lopez is, well, playing a role. It's like she's from the "Look, Ma, I'm in a movie!" School of Acting. And though I DO enjoy some of her music (which seems to have gotten better after she married Marc Anthony), I don't consider her a terrific singer. Let's add dancer in there, too. She's okay, but I don't think Broadway's going to be calling her to choreograph anything anytime soon.

I write this because I was channel-surfing yesterday and came across one of her movies. Don't ask me which one. I can tell you it wasn't that Eeeeek! horror she did with Ben Affleck, Giggly or Giglia or whatever it was called, though. She's there being cutesy and squealing. She's very good at both, I'll admit, but there's just so much cutesy and squealing I, personally, can take. I mention to my husband, "Oh, no, not J-Lo again." The hubby doesn't mind her, but of course he adds, "Hey, she was great as Selena!"

I rest my case.

Oh, and then this morning I'm checking email, and there she is in a shot with a strange-looking Tom Cruise (wearing a fat outfit, I guess?). It appears she was a hit on the MTV Awards. Does anybody still watch those? From the looks of the picture, she looked pretty good in some outfit she was wearing, although she looks like she was being cutesy and squealing again.

Only this time, she was doing it to music.

So, if you're a J-lo fan, I apologize for dissing your girl, but sorry, I ain't sold on her at all!

Later,
Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment